27 January 2010

Dreamers

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night." -Edgar Allan Poe

People frequently ask me if I was like the curly-headed girl when I was little. My reply to that is a big fat, "No comment."

It's very humbling to think that perhaps you have been reading your child wrong for most of her curly-headed life. I've always pictured her as the prototypical strong-willed child. You know, the herd of buffalo that thunders right over the top of anything and anyone in the way? Yeah.

But what if she's more like the birds that fly up above everything. And they can't quite figure out how they fit into the world beneath them. What if she is more interested in the purpose of the rules we have to follow? Perhaps it's not a power struggle, but a struggle to make sense out of them because we have to know WHY!

Wait, I was talking about the curly-headed girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails