30 April 2011

52 Books: Weeks 4 Through 17

This list truly is pathetic, but don't say I didn't warn you. I've been reading, but none of the posting has made it onto this blog in a timely manner and then I forget the majority of what I've read. There are so many good books out there that I want to read, but life will keep interrupting with more urgent things.

Week 4 - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is a coming of age story by Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan. Fun read. Not much substance.

Week 5 - Finished Kaleidoscope by Patsy Clairmont. She's a stitch. In this book about the search for wisdom, there are plenty of things to think about, and she presents them in her own hilarious style.

Week 6 - God King by Joanne Williamson was a vivid picture of history in the days of King Hezekiah of Judah. We love "living books" that tell the story of history in such a way that it is unforgettable. Much more interesting than a textbook!

Week 7 - Behemoth is the continuing story of Scot Westerfeld's steam-punk alternative universe. It is set in World War II, where the Allies and Axis powers are aligned the same, but the weapons they fight with are distinctly different.

Week 8 - Sick Week. Everyone caught the yuckiness and the Straight-haired girl was down for the count. We re-read Anne of Green Gables. It's the literary equivalent of comfort food. Great memories from when I was a girl and now we are building them for the next generation. Love it!


Week 9 was the story of The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald. It's a thought provoking book. In the first half of the twentieth century, home management houses at state universities were all the rage. They existed to teach women to run a house and be an excellent mother. Unfortunately, the way they practiced mothering was on real babies. This is the story of one boy's life. 

Week 10 - I read The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, No. 1) because I was curious about the series. It's definitely interesting and presents history vividly, but I can't call it a living book for reasons not the least of which is its accuracy - or the lack thereof. Not recommending this to anyone who hasn't read the real deal.

Week 11 - I kept plugging away at Downpour by James MacDonald this week. I started this in November, and I have taken my time with it. It asks a lot of the reader, but it has been good so far. Hard, but good. I will finish this some day.


I also read Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears. The woman was seriously hilarious! This is by far the best knitting manual I've ever read (of a considerable number of such tomes). I found it through my local library system. Hooray for our local library! It's a lifeline, for sure.

Week 12 - In the hopes that I could better tailor their education to The Way They Learn, I read this book by Cynthia Tobias. I have a lot to think about. This is not the first book on personality types and education that I have read, but it was fairly succinct. The ol' brain is mulling it over. It was a good reminder that what works for all of us will most likely be a combination of my teaching style with their learning style(s), and what works for one girl may not work so well for the other. But then again, that's a good part of the reason we homeschool, isn't it?

Week 13 - We read Archimedes and the Door of Science (Living History Library) out loud. I know this is a child's book, but it was so full of information about ancient Greek math and science. The story of Archimedes' discovery of specific gravity is told in such a way that it is guaranteed to be etched in the reader's mind for life. I can appreciate that as a teacher and as a student! I totally recommend this book.

Week 14 - It seems as if everyone is reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I finished most of it, but couldn't manage to complete the entire book. I may get to it another time.

Week 15 - Found Wanting: A Novel by Robert Goddard was a good read. It told the story of a man who was drawn into a mystery surrounding the identity of Anna Anderson (ostensibly the Grand Duchess Anastasia) many years after her death.

Week 16 - A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. This is a superb summary of Charlotte Mason's methods for each subject. It's a quick read and would be a great reference guide for anyone interested in learning more. Good starting place! Very informative. I bought this one, I liked it so much.


Week 17 -I'm currently reading Sidetracked Home Executives by the"slob sisters" Pam Young and Peggy Jones. I'm sidetracked at the moment, but never fear. I will get my focus back soon enough. The weekend is here. There is hope for me yet! This book will take me a while because there are "things to do." One must say that phrase with a very solemn and earnest voice. "Things to Do!"

And that's my sadly delinquent list for 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, even delinquently. I keep thinking I should write posts about what I'm reading but never seem to get around to it.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails