04 April 2011

My Relationship with Jell-o

It's complicated. Jell-o is quite possibly the most disgusting thing invented by man, yet more than enough of my recipes place it in a starring role. It's quite disturbing. Strawberries, on the other hand, are not complicated. What's not to like?

(Unless you suddenly develop a severe allergy to them - I wouldn't wish that on anyone.)

Right about now, you may be wondering why I would choose to drown fresh strawberries in Jell-o.

It's quite simple, really. P-I-E. Pie assumes you will glue together the items contained in the crust so they don't spread all over your plate when you slice them. Hence the need for Jell-o.

Sigh.

Photo credit: krumdieck from morguefile.com

Strawberry Pies

1 ½ c. water
1 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
Cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add small box of strawberry Jell-o. Let stand until cool. 
Fill baked pie shell with fresh strawberries. Pour cooled jell-o mixture over the berries and refrigerate.

Pie this delectable must be served with real whipped cream. Anything else is a travesty. And yes, I am highly aware of my inconsistencies in this regard. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails