28 August 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY (August 28, 2011):

Outside my window...the cicadae are singing. Fall is eminent. Drat. Not ready for that yet. I'm still in a salad mood. "No soup for you!" Soup is a fall/winter thing around this house, and I refuse to properly make it until the heater is turned on for the winter. Which will be sooner than I would wish, I'm sure.

I am thinking...about big hair bands.

I am thankful for...changing musical tastes. Not that I ever loved big hair bands all that much, but still. I'm wondering what I will think about the music I listen to now in twenty years. I'm wondering if I will ever have the time to really listen to music like I did when I was in college, and if it will ever be that important to me again. When did I mislay that part of myself? And do I even need to find it again?

From the learning rooms...we are starting up another school year. I'm excited about this one. I see so much progress in the girls. One thing about getting a new class each year was the sudden shock of realizing a new year meant starting over again on the maturity scale. As I teach the same girls each year, I am privileged to see their growth and progress.

From the kitchen...we had about 20 people stuffed into our wee sma' house today for lunch. I love it when we get the chance to do that. It was a salad and bread day. Good food and good company! Nice way to spend an afternoon.

I am wearing...navy sweatpants and a ratty old t-shirt. Obviously, I'm not living up to my fashionista reputation. [smirk]

I am creating...one extensive mess in the basement in preparation for the garage sale of the century - which may never happen if we don't find tables somewhere. I'd send it all to Goodwill instead, but the nearest one is an hour and a half away.

I am going... to be more deliberate about how I spend my resources. Those challenges are all over the internet: don't buy anything new for a year, riot for austerity, spend less. I'm not signing up for them because I'm too apt to forget in my sleep-deprived, allergy med induced state that I intend to only buy things made in the USA (good luck with that one!) or food grown within a 200 mile radius (again, quite the challenge up here). Regardless of the challenges, I'm still going to try to spend my resources wisely, not as a reaction against, but as a pro-action for.

I am reading...The Bards of Bone Plain. Every once in a while I remember why I love reading Patricia McKillip so much. Her books are exquisite. I am also devouring Cal Patch's Design It Yourself Clothes in an attempt to further entrench my reputation as a cutting edge fashionista. Yes, that was sarcasm...

I am hoping...to finish several unfinished projects as another decluttering effort.

I am hearing...this. And this. And some Bach fugue, the number of which I can't remember.

Around the house...we are decluttering. And I have not been garage sale-ing more than twice in the past two summers. Repeat after me, "Just because it's a great deal, does not mean I have to buy it." Mindless consumption, on the decline. Although, I do miss the challenge of snagging great bargains, and talking with friends as we drive around town in search of them.

One of my favorite things...is a chance to sit and gather my thoughts, regardless of how feeble they may be at the moment.

A few plans for the rest of the week: a foray into the world of the Byzantine Empire, lunch with friends, art making with the girls, slapping tags on garage sale items, and a desperate attempt to find enough surfaces to fill with all our surfeit of stuff.

Here is picture I am sharing...my how time flies!


I'm taking part in The Simple Woman's Daybook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails