04 June 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY (June 4, 2010):
Outside my window...It is still daylight!

I am thinking...how nice it is that summer is here and the days are still getting longer. I love summer! (Blissful sigh.)

I am thankful for...kids who still like to spend time with their parents. The straight-haired girl and I had a sleepover last night: Babymouse is our hero!

From the learning rooms...we have six little baggies full of seeds hanging in our dining room window. The curly-headed girl predicts that they will be mixed up and not know where to send their roots because there aren't any worms under them. We've been reading Grammar Island and drawing modified ducks. We intend to make stepping stones tomorrow, if we don't get the storms that are predicted. Even I draw the line at mixing cement in my kitchen sink.


From the kitchen...(actually, out on the driveway) I've been grilling up a storm. I've learned several important things. First, do not add charcoal with lighter fluid to the grill when you think the fire is not hot enough. Secondly, it takes more than eleven briquettes to make a fire hot enough to grill hamburgers and less than a 10 pound bag to avoid turning them into hockey pucks. Lastly, timing is everything...and it is wise to have a hose handy.

I am wearing...a fleece jacket while sitting in the hot upstairs of our house. Although my family thinks I'm nuts, I insist that it is good training for an upcoming trip to the land of the hot and humid.

I am creating...next year's lesson plans. Yes, I'm also a curriculum nerd.

I am going...to get my weekly Austen fix by watching Northanger Abbey.

I am reading...The River Cottage Family Cookbook. Strangely enough, it's the only thing I have going at the moment. This has been a busy week. (Good busy.)

I am hoping...to go camping more than once this summer.

I am hearing...contented humming noises coming from the curly-headed girl's room.

Around the house...the tree is almost finished in the straight-haired girl's room.

One of my favorite things...is a quiet house with everyone "all snug in their beds."

A few plans for the rest of the week: finish cleaning the house before the family arrives. 

Here is picture I am sharing...



I'm taking part in The Simple Woman's Daybook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails