13 May 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY (May 13, 2011):

Outside my window...it's chilly and gray. I'm totally living on the memory of last Friday. Yikes! That's the bad news. The good news? Green has finally arrived. The trees and plants have exploded this week, and I was able to get in at least two good days of gardening. Oh, and the asparagus is thriving. I hope to roast it next week, or at least make Cream of Asparagus soup.

I am thinking...it's a bit nutty that I'm upstairs and Mr. Dad's in the basement and instead of climbing up and down the stairs, we are Facebooking each other.

I am thankful for...stairs.

From the learning rooms...we toured the paper mill today. It took our group two hours to tour the #1 paper machine and the Will sheeter and packaging areas. That is only a small portion of the mill. They employ around 860 people, and run four paper machines. The rolls that come off #1 are shoulder height. It's amazing how quickly that machine can fill up a roll! The Straight-haired girl was completely amazed by the way the rolls just slid along the conveyor belt and on and off the parts of the line, down the elevator to the first floor. The Curly-headed girl stayed in the "classroom" and made tie-dyed paper. She thought it was great fun.

From the kitchen...the homemade personal pan pizzas were a great hit! I made the dough, and let the kids maul it (Huns and all) until they were satisfied. We spread sauce thinly on top, and they were allowed to top their own pizza to their hearts' content. Some of the pizzas resembled buns with dents in them, while others were paper thin to allow more space for toppings. Obviously, one's opinion of pizza perfection affects the outcome. Oh, and I mustn't forget the brownies!

I am wearing...fuzzy slippers - again.

I am creating...an apron for a new friend.

I am going...to make a slide show for Mr. Dad's parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I'm totally excited to do it, but it's going to take a lot of time, because our computer is so.   very.   slow. Mr. Dad's mom sent me the greatest pictures! It's totally fun to see his life before I became part of it. My favorite photo of him was taken when he was about six. He was singing some horrid old Southern Gospel song, I'm sure. The funny thing is, he remembers what the name of it was, and he can still sing it. Thankfully, he got rid of the sock stuffed, toilet paper roll microphone years ago. But the photo is still very cute. It reminds me of the Straight-haired girl.

I am reading...Avalon High by Meg Cabot. Complete fluff. Makes me glad to not be in high school at this point in my life! I really can't say I'd want to relive that particular bit of my history, although I miss my friends. I can only excuse myself by saying that I was looking for some books that retell the legend of King Arthur and this qualified, barely.

I am hoping...to finish school by the last week of May. That would be nice.

I am hearing...the Curly-headed girl trying to convince me it would be a good idea for her friend to spend the night. I made them promise to sleep. I remain highly dubious of their abilities to do just that.
As I finish this post, I am hearing nothing but quiet. Her loquacious friend informed me that a successful sleepover was her last test before her mother allows her to go to camp this summer. It's very quiet down there. They are determined to prove me wrong, I guess.


Around the house...it's a bit of a disaster.(I should just paste this every time, because I sound like a broken record. But really, when we spend most of our time making things and then flying out the door for one reason or another, what else should I expect? I'm happy I can truly clean it every six weeks or so.)

One of my favorite things...is good tea. Hot or iced it makes no difference. That is determined only by the condition of the weather outside. As of now it would be good in a cup; but alas, I'm going to bed momentarily and a cup of tea would be a very bad idea.

A few plans for the rest of the week: a movie making class at the library tomorrow and Sunday. The girls and I are very excited about it. I'll have to share the details later. And the brownie recipe.

Here is picture I am sharing...



I'm taking part in The Simple Woman's Daybook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails